Marriage the Prophetic Covenant

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Training Up your Child by loving your Spouse

I will never forget the way my father treated my mother. It was embarrassing. He was way out of bounds. I thought the way he touched her was silly. Today we would say, get a room. He was passionate towards her, loved her like life itself, and demonstrated it without shame.

They died together in a traffic accident when I was 13. I don’t remember everything about them but the way he loved her and the way he showed it was imprinted on me forever. I give credit to that image for the marriage Peggy and I have now.

You have heard it said that the best thing you can do for your children is love their mother. It’s not only true, it’s imperative.

You are training the wife or husband of your future son or daughter-in-law. You loving your wife much more than leaving them an inheritance of cash will better serve your grandchildren’s security. The proverb says that a good man leaves an inheritance for his grandchildren. It’s true. Make sure it’s the right inheritance.

Be demonstrative. Touch her, kiss her, hold her, fuss over her and do it in full view of your kids. They will find much more security in that then anything else you might do for them. If she isn’t comfortable with that, do it anyway. She will become comfortable, then she will crave it. If you aren’t comfortable or if you don’t know what to do, watch a few soap operas. You’ll figure it out. You were created to love on her like this. Anything less is robbery. Paul the apostle said not to withhold from her.

Last, protect her. Cover her. Esteem her. Treasure her. Cherish her. If your kids act up and sass your wife (not their mother) take after them. Even if she has it coming, they have to get thru you first. Never ever side with your kids in dissing your wife. If you have problems, take that kid, lay them up against the wall and say, “don’t you ever talk to my wife that way again”. Make it clear that in any contest they will always come in second.

We all respect a good offensive line in football. They protect the quarterback with all they have. They do that for a game. You protect your wife, she is more than some quarterback for you. I confess I was not always diligent in this area, I regret every idle word spoken. I want to help you avoid the heartache.

In the end, the most important person in your marriage is Jesus. Next its your Spouse. Then your kids. Then your work or ministry (or church). I won’t embarrass you by asking if you live this way. But it’s not too late to start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home